I’m sure we’ve all heard about a capsule wardrobe – but what is it? How to create that perfect capsule wardrobe and will having one actually help with your wardrobe problems?
The short answer? Yes, it will! How? Capsule wardrobe is about mixing and matching, it’s about finding your style and decluttering your wardrobe. Less choice makes things a lot simpler! But less choice certainly doesn’t need to mean boring. A great capsule wardrobe has a good selection of classic pieces that are versatile and work well together allowing you to create many different looks with just a few items.
Why have a capsule wardrobe?
Investing your time in creating a capsule wardrobe that works for you and your style will not only make you feel confident in your clothes but also makes finding what to wear and getting ready in the mornings a lot simpler and less time consuming. You can change your look with just some very simple and easy styling.
A complete capsule wardrobe comes with some great benefits:
- Versatility: The beauty of a capsule wardrobe is that you can mix and match items and feel like you have something completely new and fresh to wear. Each well thought out item that you love can be worn with many other pieces you have in your wardrobe, and it’s amazing how it doesn’t seem like you are wearing the same old things everyone has seen a thousand times.
- Simplicity: Having a versatile capsule wardrobe of reliable quality basics will help you get dressed in less time and avoid the frustration, most of us know all too well, of staring into your overflowing wardrobe and still feeling like you have nothing to wear. If you have a minimalist wardrobe instead, you can come up with some great outfit ideas for a set number of pieces.
- Longevity: Your style will probably evolve and change over years but a well put together capsule wardrobe should still work. Simply because the items in your capsule collection are investments, they are timeless pieces that will work for any age and can be reworked for years.
Having a good and versatile capsule wardrobe also reduces the money you spend on filling your wardrobe with the latest trends. These are timeless pieces and investing in quality here means you won’t have to constantly replace them or update your wardrobe to the latest trends.
How to create a capsule wardrobe?
Now that you know some of the benefits of having a good capsule wardrobe it’s probably good to talk a bit about how to get there. How to create that capsule wardrobe for yourself.
Here’s some simple steps to help you get started:
- Declutter – but don’t make it into an ordeal by being too strict to start with. Go with what feels right. The important thing is to keep what you love and know will wear.
- Find Your style – Match your wardrobe. Remember to be honest about your lifestyle and dress to match it.
- Find great quality long-lasting pieces as your capsule staples. Buy less and consider what you are buying. Love what you own.
- Ensure your capsule staples are versatile and timeless. An investment made here will pay off as these should be items you can wear for a very long time.
- But do remember not to just re-fill your wardrobe with new clothes after de-cluttering. Take a timeout! Consider how to work your wardrobe and what to buy.
Have less clothes and invest in some really good quality wardrobe staples. Timeless, versatile, and easy to wear and care for, good wardrobe staples are the perfect building blocks for any style or outfit. You could try some of our Fashion Essentials for some great wardrobe staples.
What should you have in your capsule wardrobe?
Finding your style will help you to determine exactly how your capsule wardrobe will look but there are some essential key pieces that you should consider having:
- A great, quality piece of outerwear
- A leather jacket
- Button-up shirts
- Quality well-fitting suit
- Good knitwear
- Some good quality basic tops
- Well-fitting trousers
- Versatile quality handbag
When you are selecting your perfect capsule wardrobe items remember to try everything on. Only buy/keep items that truly fit you and you feel comfortable wearing. You will usually know instantly if something is right for you. If you are not sure, then you should just leave it.
Be careful when selecting your colours. The colours of the items in your capsule wardrobe should be interchangeable and neutral. This way the pieces you have chosen won’t end up looking dated. And always remember to invest in quality products. You will want your capsule wardrobe to last for more than a few seasons after all.
These tips should get you well on your way but if you want to you can read more about creating a capsule wardrobe that will last a lifetime from this article from Who What Wear
Or if you want to learn more about the benefits of a capsule wardrobe and what to include you can read this wonderful masterclass article.